Monday, 24 March 2008

Home again, Home again, Jiggity Jig.




Hi I am home.

I returned from the Kingdom of Thailand to the House of Gastro.
Noice.
However, I think the dreaded lurgy has finally fled and home is home again.


I had a wonderful holiday. Just what I needed. Some time away with some lovely people who I could have a decent conversation with, you know where a sentence is actually finished without interruptions. Some time away where I didn't have to plan ahead or think for anyone other than myself. Some time away in a new place, new flavours, new smells, new things to learn. Excellent stuff.

Highlights:
*Jade buddha. He's a beauty.

*Finding Bangers (i can call it that now that I've been there) isn't such the dirty smelly chaotic place as I've been led to believe. And the traffic was relatively sane. But then, I've been to Manilla.

* Sukhothai Heritage. Staying at this place and having it to ourselves on full staff. Bliss. http://www.sukhothaiheritage.com/ Did I say we were the ONLY ones there....five of us. Beautiful sanctuary apparently in the middle of nowhere.

*Finding Teappucino's in Chiang Mai.

*Elephant ride. Of course. It was a lot more fun than I had anticipated. We also met the a couple of baby elephants.

*Learning to cook thai food. Yummo. We made six courses for ourselves, and had to eat each one. And prior to the class we went to the market to learn about all the fresh thai herbs and veges.


* The Hellfire Pass Memorial Museum just out of Kanchanaburi. Very interesting and moving. A worthy place to visit.

* The overnight train trip to Chaing Mai. We had lots of mischief with Natalie and our Spy Classics.


Lowlights:
*Learning to cook thai food. We made six courses for ourselves and had to eat each one.....six courses is a lot of food!

*Not having enough time spent at the Hellfire museum for the sake of a very uninteresting train ride on the death railway.

Characters of the trip:
* Natalie...our lady-man waitress on the overnight train to Chaing Mai. Very entertaining.

*Mr Bang...my very authentic thai reflexologist. He gave me a healing foot massage and correctly diagnosed some of my health issues. He was so very much the authentic thai healer I wanted to bundle him and up bring him home.
*Many brown dog. What can I say...it is asia. No mangy dogs this trip though.


For the shoppers:

I have two words for you....Jim Thompson.



2 comments:

Beccafish said...

ok that's it... i am officially jealous! sukhothai heritage looks quite lovely - i remember staying at sukhothai - in some small, simple family run hostel with single dorm beds and toilets that didn't flush! (luckily i was familiar with the flush the toilet with a bucket of water technique from those years the second toilet at mum's was broken) looks like i bombed out in the nice department there! they did, however, do an awesome panang curry in the 'restaurant' at the hostel. good to hear you had a good time - i bet the girls were just dying to see you when you got home.
so where are you off too next and please can i come too?

Maria said...

Hi Ruth,

Found your blog address over at Emmjay's...Lovely to read about your trip. I droooool over Jim Thompson stuff. Glad you had a lovely time.

And I'm loving the pics of Esta, what a beauty she is! Great to catch up.

Maria x