Shhhh, ShhhhIt's, oh, so quiet shh,shh
It's, oh, so still shh,shh
You're all alone shh, shh
And so peaceful until...
...until you freak out because it is Oh So Quiet and it's not even 6pm in the evening so you jump on your new wireless toy to talk to someone, anyone, to fill the big silent space in the house.
Something very oddly going on in my world.
It's a week night, I'm all alone. Not getting dinner (ok, so that's not so unusual), not yelling (ok so that's very unusual), not patching up base-jump-off-the-furniture wounds whilst stirring a pot of ?knows what on the stove while trying not to step on the dog or the baby and answering the phone to marketeers all at the same time. Is this what sanity is like? I'd almost forgotten.
The baby is in bed asleep (not so odd) but the other hyperactive monkey is not here (very very odd). She's off having a slumber party with Grandma as a very rare special treat. One that she loves enormously. So big kisses to them. Hopefully they'll have so much fun they'll want to do it again tomorrow night. I'll be prepared to take on this big silent house then.
Meanwhile Mark and I looking at each other not knowing what to do. Well, we will once he gets home from picking up the takeaway. The art of conversation is a distant memory in our family culture. Somewhat like the art of the samurai, or the art of water divining, or the art of starting a fire with two sticks. While the children are awake they demand our attention every second, and when they are finally asleep we are too brain snoring tired to speak. We're such riveting people aren't we?
Anyway, I might go off and bang a few pots together or something while I'm waiting for Mark.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment